Eagle Tribune –
LAWRENCE — A 16-year old Lawrence male was arraigned Friday in Lawrence Juvenile Court on multiple charges in connection with the Lee Manuel Viloria-Paulino murder case.
The unnamed juvenile was charged with breaking and entering, intimidation of a witness and larceny, according to a statement from the office of Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett.
Judge Jose Sanchez released the defendant on personal recognizance and ordered him to attend school and to stay away from all of the witnesses in the Viloria-Paulino murder case.
The emergence of a second suspect in the Viloria-Paulino murder case comes as a surprise to many.
Mayor Daniel Rivera said he was unaware of the additional charges, or of the juvenile’s arrest and arraignment.
“I had no idea,” Rivera said when reached Friday evening.
The decapitated body of Viloria-Paulino, 16, was found Dec. 1 on a riverbank off Water Street. His head was found a short distance away by investigators.
Mathew Borges, 16, like Viloria-Paulino a sophomore at Lawrence High, was arrested the next day and charged with first-degree murder.
Borges was subsequently indicted by an Essex County grand jury and arraigned on a charge of first-degree murder in Salem Superior Court March 31. Borges remains held without bail. Borges is scheduled for a pretrial conference in Salem Superior Court May 3.
Prosecutors allege the juvenile participated in breaking and entering into Viloria-Paulino’s home on Nov. 18, and then misled police during the course of their investigation into Viloria-Paulino’s murder.
Nov. 18 was the last day Viloria-Paulino’s family saw him alive. His family reported him missing the following day.
Police say Viloria-Paulino and Borges went to the riverbank on the night of Nov. 18 to smoke marijuana. Borges attacked him, police say.
Police previously said they have a video of the two teens leaving Viloria-Paulino’s 50 Forest St. home that evening.
The juvenile is scheduled to appear in Lawrence Juvenile Court May 16 for a pretrial conference.